Trader Joe’s has a new tea! I was a little skeptical a month ago when the cashier told me a new “basil” tea would be coming out, but this organic holy basil herbal tea is a winner! The flavor is bitter and spicy, which is somewhat reminiscent of a chai tea. I love that it’s naturally caffeine-free! I’m also excited to try this as an iced tea this summer, maybe with a slice of lemon.
TJs gives a short blurb about the tea on the box. This sparked my curiosity about tulsi tea. I did some research, and here are five fun facts about tulsi tea:
- The tulsi herb originated in Indian, where it was used for medicinal purposes.
- Tulsi is Hindu for “the incomparable one.” It is also known as holy basil and is nicknamed the “Queen of Herbs.”
- Tulsi is an adaptogen, which is a substance that reduces stress and promotes normal physiological functioning.
- One source cited research that found tulsi reduced stress, sleep problems, forgetfulness, and exhaustion in people and animals. Who knew a tea could do all that?!?
- Tulsi is also known for having other medicinal benefits such as improving oral health, regulating sugar levels, treating acne, strengthening the immune system, and treating coughs/colds.
This tea seems to be able to treat everything! After drinking it for a week, I can’t say I’ve personally observed any of these benefits (I still fall asleep while reading in bed at night), but I love the way it tastes!Share on Facebook